Saturday, December 10, 2011

Miles Apart

''We'll be miles apart, I'll keep you deep inside, you're always in my heart. A new life to start, I may be leaving but you're always in my heart.'' -Miles Apart by Yellowcard

This is going to be my final blog post from London! It's incredibly hard to believe and these four months absolutely flew by! Even though this semester was trying and stressful at times, I wouldn't trade it for anything. I've learned so much about myself and the world. More than anything, I learned that I am capable of living on my own in a new place; let alone a new country. I am so proud of myself for living successfully in a big city, I never thought I could do it and now I know otherwise!

London is definitely a unique place in that people from all over the world congregate here, and I am lucky to have lived in a place like that. I've made friends from countries all over the world, including Switzerland, Turkey, France, Austria and Bulgaria. I've also been able to get to know people better whom I go to school with at home, which is an awesome side effect. I've been lucky enough to travel all around the entire United Kingdom and had adventures in Belfast, Edinburgh and Cardiff. I feel like I have another home here and how many people can really say that? I know I'll be coming back to the UK at some point, I have to. I love it here so much. Everyone I've met here has been so friendly and helpful and I can't imagine not hearing everyone talk in their super cute accent anymore and asking me if I'm ''all right love?'' I'm going to miss eating chocolate crossaints everyday at breakfast, taking the Jubilee line to Baker Street tube station (which is aptly adorned with it's Sherlock Holmes tiles) and walking by Big Ben and the Eye overlooking the Thames. I can't wait to be able to say ''I remember that time when I lived in London...'' or ''This happened while I was living in London...'' but unfortunately that means I have to leave. I am definitely excited to go back and see my family and friends and dogs (more excited than you'd know) but there's a lot here that I'll be excited to come back and see again. I can't wait to eat at Mcswinney's, eat proper chilli and actually be able to watch Glee on tv and not on a computer screen, but this is a bittersweet excitement. It's going to be so strange to go from pounds to dollars, from bangers and mash to a hamburger and fries, from Primark to Target and Wal-Mart. I'm going back to somewhere familar, yet it will be strange to me at first. You know, at first I was scared to leave home and come to a completely different place, and now? I'm leaving one home to go back to another. London will always be home to me now, and the best part about home is that you can always come back.

''A man who is tired of London, is tired of life.'' -Samuel Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment