Tuesday, October 11, 2011

I've Been Busy

I'm sorry it's taken so long for an update but I've been busy!

So first and foremost, we've been busy finalizing plans to go to Ireland for our fall break. We are starting out in Cork and then taking a train to Dublin and later on a train to Belfast. I'm really excited, I've heard Ireland is beautiful! We want to see the Blarney Stone, Blarney Castle, and Giant's Causeway just to list a few things. I especially would love to take a ghost walking tour in Dublin too and possibly go whale watching in Dublin, since it's on the coast.

I went to another show for my Musical Theatre class, called Ragtime. It was pretty fabulous. The theatre was the tiniest one I've ever been in (not that I've been in too many though). There were 45 seats and we were sitting so close to the ''stage'' and the actors that when one of the characters died, I could see her breathing and it ruined it for me a bit haha. Also, interestingly enough, the governor/journalist from the show we saw previously, Parade, was in the audience. If we'd been at a bigger theatre, I probably never would have noticed him. I love it when cool little coincidences like that happen. The story itself was overall very depressing but the music was great! Lots of soul and lots of great dancing. Two out of my three favorite characters died, but what are ya gonna do? We go to another show tonight called The Baker's Wife which my prof said isn't as depressing as Parade and Ragtime have been, so yay! I'll let you know what I think.

http://www.thepublicreviews.com/ragtime-landor-theatre-london/

Then I met up with Danielle, Sarah and Rachel and we went to Portobello Market, which is AWESOME! Never thought I'd say it but Portobello Market > Camden Market. Shocking, I know. The market is in Notting Hill, which is this adorable little section of London on well, a hill. It's apparently where a lot of celebrities who live in London reside. Gwyneth Paltrow is rumored to live there, but no sightings yet. The buildings are all very colorful and unique and the market is the same. There's a much more diverse mix of stuff and I got some really nice jewellery, and lots of good food! I got a sausage roll (big here in the UK), a dark chocolate crepe (!!!) and chocolate covered strawberries. Yummy scrumboes!



The weekend before last me, Eve and Lizzie decided to take a day trip to Brighton, which is a beach resort town on the southern coast of England. It lays right on the English Channel and it was beautiful. There were all kinds of cool places to eat (a lot overlooking the water) and tons of neat shops. I learned a couple things though: 1) rocky beach fronts HURT your feet. No me gusta. 2) With regards to the English Channel (aka eater of Converse shoes), never take off your shoes and leave them on the rocks to put your feet in the water thinking that the tide won't get them, because it will. Or in my case, it will take one and leave you in an awkward position. Eve ended up running to get me a cheap pair of flip-flops and all was mostly well. (I sadly had to throw away the other shoe, but hey I guess now I have an excuse to buy a different color when I get home!) We then ventured over to Brighton Pier which is super cool. There's all kinds of old-timey rides (such as the Waltzer which spins you around in a cup thing, while the whole thing itself is spinning and it only had a bar that you had to hold down to keep you in. Scaryyy but fun.) I also went on the bumper cars (I miss driving) and one other ride that spins you in circles. Dizzy day. We also took some time to chill in some of the super comfy chairs right on the pier and admire the water. It was lovely. Also, I got made fun of for how I say 'water' lol. I went up and got a bottle and the guy said ''You Americans sure do love your waaahhhter don't you?'' Haha okayyy. Then we walked to the Royal Pavilion, which is indescribably gorgeous. It was a former royal residence and I can see why. Before we left, we found a delicious little Mexican restaurant, aptly named El Mexicano, and I got a super spicy chicken dish; pollo al chipotle.


The Mystery Machine?
 Me standing in the English Channel



 The shoe is lonely

Me saving Eve's life

 



The Royal Pavilion
The next day, Jill and I decided to go see the changing of the guards. Definitely different then I thought it was going to be. Buckingham Palace isn't as pretty as I would have expected but those guards mean business! There were even like five extra policemen on horseback (one of which was being pet by the public and LOVING it!; (the horse not the policemen)) The ceremony was actually in three sections, because the new guards had to come in to relieve the old guards and then the old guards had to leave. The crowd was nuts though, but we ended up getting a pretty good spot to watch. We decided though that we're going to try to go again so that we can actually see what's going on inside the palace grounds. Then we sat down under ''our tree'' in Green Park (which is beautiful), people watched and just talked. I then got a ''NY'' hot dog which was actually really good! I'm impressed London.






I did a little bit of solo shopping on this past Saturday and I am still addicted to Primark. I spent about £20 for like 6 or 7 things! I love Oxford Street.

So like I said, Ireland is next week so my next post will definitely talk about that! (I will definitely try not to go three weeks without posting again!)

No comments:

Post a Comment